Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day 7 - Friday 10/11 (Goodbye Day)

Last night's Karaoke experience was an absolute hoot.  It was so different than American Karaoke.  Olivia had fallen asleep so Noel sent me off with our nephews and Kun-Onni and Kun-Hyunbo.  It was just down the block so we walked.  

When we reached our location we walked up a staircase and I saw strobe lights from a room and you could hear people singing.  I had no idea what I was walking in to.  We walked down a little farther and entered the room.  A small room.  A private small room.  HUH?!  Ya...in Korea you rent your own Karaoke room and sing as many songs as you can within the time frame you pay for.  Ya, I'm not doing this.  LOL!  A gentleman brought us a bunch of Cass (Korean) beer.  I'd better drink up.

Kun-Onni sang first.  She sang a traditional Korean song and sang it beautifully.  I was really enjoying the experience.  Until all of them started on me.  "Jenny-pah...you go!".  Ummmm, No.  Thankfully I'm a good sales person and was able to pass the mic by introducing the next singer after each song.  "Aaaannnd..ladies and gentleman, I am proud to introduce our next singer...JunHoooooooo!".  JunHo sang "I believe I can fly" and actually crushed it.  Minus a few mispronunciations....he sang that song!!

We had a blast.  Brought to you by Cass Beer.  ;)




We got home a little after midnight and stayed up a little longer spending time with each other and laughing.

The next morning both Noel and I found ourselves to be subdued and trying to maintain our emotions.

We enjoyed our last Korean family meal.



We got in a few extra hugs.


And headed out to the airport.




We all walked to the security line before we gave our last hugs and had to say our final goodbyes.  





This is when I lost it.  I child cried.  You know when you can't catch your breath and sob in big heaves.  I tried with all my might not to as I didn't want to embarrass myself or anyone else with this display but I couldn't help it.

It was was so hard to think of leaving this country, the land that gave me life.  And to leave this family, that also gave me so much.  It was just an emotionally draining departure.



 
As I was starting to feel like I was gaining my composure (after through getting through the first security line)...I heard a slew of "Jenny-pah, Jenny-pah" and turned to see our family waving and smiling and Ol-Kay with tears running down her face.  Ugh...I lost it again.  And a few more times on the plane.



This trip...this journey...this week was everything I could hope for and more.  I am so thankful for the things I learned, for the growing I did, for the family I gained, and the friendship that became stronger.

Thank you, Noel, for being an amazing travel-mate and for sharing your family with me.  You are an amazing soul and I am honored to call you my sister!  xo



Love and Joy,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment