Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day 6 - Thursday 10/10

It was a late night for us, but we all 3 slept until 7:30/8am.

I woke up with a slight twitch under my left eye and it was pretty annoying.

The weather started out cloudy (just long enough for us to sleep a little later) and then got sunny and nice.  I'm seeing a trend here... we had a fun day.

We enjoyed our usual yummy Korean breakfast.  One of our last.  Ugh.


(this dish is one of Noel's favorites...sardines with beans I think.  See the eyes?)
After breakfast we showered up and got ready for our Korean Hair salon day.  I've been told by a few people that you HAVE to get your hair done while in Korea.  Especially if you want something done special...like color or what they call "magic straighten" which is basically like a Brazilian blowout except they have perfected it for Korean hair.  Contrary to belief...we don't all have thick beautiful straight hair.  Take for instance Noel and I.  She's got curls for days.  All natural.  I have funky kinky curly wavy hair.  Again...natural.  And seeing that the Koreans have figured out how to straighten hair without damaging it, we can't be the only ones.  Anyways...if you want to have your hair done well...go to people who really know your hair.  People with the same type of hair.

You don't make reservations here.  You just show up.  Yeah...that's crazy.  Kun-Onee and Ol-Kay stopped at a few salons to make sure they could take us.  When we found our place we sat down at at consultation table and they brought us coffee and water.  Then they asked us what we wanted done.  Noel was super excited about getting her hair magically delicious.  Sorry...I always sing that commercial in my head when we talk about the magic straightening.  


(before)
I wanted some highlights.  Er, I mean...my hair is naturally pretty with multiple colors from the sun.  I just wanted them to enhance it a bit.  Ahem...so anyways.  There was some communications challenges.  This was making me more anxious by the minute.  I tend to be rather picky...er I mean...sometimes people around me don't quite do things the way I would do them.  *Ok, clearly...the lack of sleep is catching up to me*  But, having people work on my hair without knowing exactly what I'm getting and without me being able to properly communicate exactly how I wanted it was really stepping outside of my comfort zone.  I finally turned to Noel and said, "Ok...I just have to just chill and relax.  I can always fix it if I hate it.".  My eye was twitching all morning and Noel's reponse was, "You just need to relax and enjoy this experience".  What a wise sister I have.  ;)  About 5 minutes later she asked how my eye twitch was and it had disappeared.  Hasn't been back!  Woot!

I just relaxed and went with it.  It was pretty interesting.  The stylist has an assistant with her to help with everything.  And the assistant does the hair washing.  The assistant even helped blow dry my hair.  Imagine two women standing by each other...both working on their own side of my head.  Princess J?  I think so!  I wanted some blonde and redish brown highlights.  They actually foiled the blonde first.  Washed it out.  Deep conditioned.  Then put the red foils in...and repeated the conditioning.  My hair actually took longer than Noel's.  I'm not sure why they foiled differently.  It seemed inefficient to me but I got two killer head rubs during the shampoo process so I was starting to think I should have added a 3rd color.  :)



(They did more of an overall head foil than I'm used to...but I think it looks good.  This pic looks lighter than I think it is.  The bottom looks more like it.  I think...I haven't seen the back yet actually.)



We didn't get out of there until 5'ish.  Oofda.  But, both Noel and I are happy with our new do's and it was a fun experience.  Have I mentioned the Chagen-Oppa has been our chauffeur this entire trip?  He has the patience of a saint.  And I've got to tell you...the myth of Asian drivers is bunk.  The streets in Korea are so tight and it is beyond impressive to see the navigation of parking in small spaces with big or small vehicles.  Chagen-Oppa gets an A++ for his driving maneuvering.  He even backed up through a crazy tight windy alley.  I would never have attempted it.  The car would have been abandoned for sure!

After we left the salon we went to the market so Noel and I could buy a few items we enjoyed while here.  This was a bad idea...as Kun-Onee emptied her closet giving us clothing and gifts.  Noel had offered me her extra bag and had to take it back to bring back all her goodies.  My luggage is jam packed.  And I'm doubtful I'll make the 50 pound limit...but since our first leg is international...I'm hoping it's 100 pounds.




Our last dinner here... I can honestly say that I will miss the kimchee even though I filled my face with enough for myself, Kari, and Jan from Dillon.  ;)




Later on we are supposed to go tear up some Karaoke.  Our nephews just arrived so hopefully they will come with us.  Should be fun.  Plus the more people that come with should make it easier to sneak away from having to sing.  To be continued...

Love and Joy,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment