Sunday, October 6, 2013

Day 2 - Sunday 10/6 (wedding day)

My day started early. We were supposed to get up at 6am to go get our hair done but I ended up waking at 3am. My brain didn't want to take a break and my heart was ready for the day to begin. 

At 6am we left and walked across the street to her our hair done for the wedding. It took a long time but it was fun. 

(Back of Noel's hair)

(It's hard to see the detail of the work, hair pins, and hairspray that went into this!)

Afterwards we went back to the apartment and ate. 

(The apartment was relatively new and very nice. They use an electronic keypad as security and entry to apartments rather than keys)

We had the same meal as the night before and it was so delicious. Her family wanted to make sure we were eating our favorite foods. They are always very accommodating and wanting to make sure you are happy and comfortable. 

After we ate we got on our Hanboks on. I was starting to feel like a real Korean. ;)

(It was fascinating to me in even the small details like how delicately our Hanboks were put into their boxes)

(Noel, Olivia, and I)

(Olivia, me, Noel, Chagen Unee, and Ohma)

(Danielle (second oldest brother's son) and Olivia) looking about as adorable as they come. They are 4 months apart. (4 yrs old)

(Back of my Hanbok)

The wedding was very different than your typical American wedding. 

Korean's have event centers specifically used for Weddings and they are like red carpet events. One room is where the wedding takes place. This room had beautiful tables with centerpiece and a stage in the middle for the Mothers of the bride and groom to enter...as well as the couple.  



Another room is where the bride and groom have a photoshoot and across the hall is a buffet style reception with multiple rooms to accommodate multiple weddings. 

(Picture of part of the photoshoot of Noel's Niece, Hyun-Jeoung, and her husband to be)




The wedding was quite the production adorned with a huge big screen behind the couple displaying everything larger than life. While it was very Hollywood-esque...it was still done very tactfully. 




After the wedding ceremony they took more pictures of different family members and friend groups (as do many American weddings). Noel's mother (Omma) grabbed me and insisted I be in part of the family photos. :)



I don't think I took any pictures of the buffet but it was a large room and any kind of Korean foods you would you want. 

I'm not exactly sure what most of the foods on my plate were but it was good. 

This is Korean beer. Thankfully I was warned to only have a small amount. It is very strong and a lot like sake. Koreans are very formal and do not pour for themselves...they pour for each other and are very aware of when you your drink is running low. 


During the reception the bride and groom change out of their American dress and into their Hanbok. The bride is behind everyone here but I have better pictures on my camera. In this picture are Noel's sisters, sister in law, and her Ohma (mother) in the blue Hanbok. 

Edit: Pictures of the Mother of the Bride, Bride, and her new hubby in there Hanbok


After the wedding we all gathered at the oldest sister and brother in law's house. We all sat in the living room...on a couch, on the floor, at the table...wherever you could fit. 

Noel is always very good at asking me what I'm feeling. During this particular time this was my response: It's hard to put it in words but even though communication is a challenge (only a few family members speak a little English)...I felt an overwhelming sense of belonging. This wasn't my family but I felt like I was supposed to be here. We somehow made communication work through our self made sign language and google translate if we got desperate. :)

Noel's family spent well over an hour trying to accommodate my schedule and what I wanted to see and do while we are here. And though I told them not to worry and stress over it...they did. Imagine 10 Koreans talking at the same time trying to figure out out to plan my schedule. I loved it and it humored me. 




Noel's 2nd oldest brother's wife (Ol-kay) speaks a little English and she turned to me and said. "They are saying blood is thick. Blood is important. And blood is family. All the sisters say they consider you blood now. You are our sister. They want you to call them by their formal family names." In Korea family members are addressed by their relation to you (for instance "first older sister" or "second oldest sister". It will take me an eternity to remember these ways of addressing people (names are in parenthesis in this and previous post) but I'm honored to be "adopted" into their family. 

I had to hold out tears but they all took turns embracing me. 

So while I didn't find my birth family...I found my Korean family...in a different way. :)

They spent more time trying to plan our schedule and even diagramed it out in both Korean and English for me. Seriously...this amount of time planning can only be my family! 

We finally came to a conclusion (rather they did) to drive to Incheon (where Chagen Unee) and have dinner there and then stay over night at their house. 

Dinner was at this seafood restaurant on a boardwalk off the water. Noel said it was an inlet from the Ocean. The boardwalk was really cool and lit up. It had performers, games, and a few rides. 





(Ohma, Kun-Unee, me and Kun Hyunbo)


One might say the sky looks the same wherever you go...but I'd beg to differ. This felt like a different sky. Special. 

For dinner we had two big cast iron pots of Korean noodles with clams. It was so delicious!


We had some Koren beer and toasted to family and returning to Korea again. :)

(Chagen Hyunbo and Chagen Unee)

After dinner we went back to the house and laughed and helped each other take our hair down. It almost took as long to take our hair down than it did to out it up. 

Again...despite verbal communication challenges...we all laughed and somehow were able to have "discussions". Even I found a way to make them laugh and tease a little. That part of me is all Bellows. 

We went to bed exhausted around 11 or 11:30 again. 

Olivia woke up at 3am ready to go. I have a feeling I will sleep on the plane. ;)

Love and Joy, 
J

No comments:

Post a Comment